Thank you for getting in touch!
An error occurred please try again later!

What to do in the event of a motor accident or claim?

If you have a car accident

Always keep a pen and paper, a first-aid kit and a torch in the car – they will come in handy in the event of an accident. Immediately after an accident, it should be the priority to attend to anyone who has been hurt in the accident.

If anyone is injured, call an ambulance if necessary and then call the Gardai to report the incident.

Once you're able to assess damage caused by the accident, stay calm and don't admit fault. Exchange details with the other driver, i.e. name and address, telephone number, car registration number, insurance company and policy number (these last 2 will be available from their insurance disc in their windscreen). Also record the names, addresses and telephone numbers of passengers and any other witnesses to the accident and names and contact details of any members of An Garda Siochana who attended at the scene.Use your phone camera to take photos of the scene – only if it is safe to do so.

Write a brief description of how the accident happened, including sketches if they will help.

The following is information that you are obliged to provide;- The name and address of both you and the vehicle owner.

  • The registration and insurance details of your vehicle should be provided to any other party involved and also An Garda Siochana if requested.
  • If any person is injured, the accident must be reported to An Garda Siochana whether they attend the scene or not.

If however, you wish to report an accident or claim outside office hours, please follow the steps below;


step 1


Please call your insurance company’s accident claims helpline number and report the claim to them. They will take all the details from you, provide you with a claim number and may send you out a claim form. The claim form should be completed and returned as soon as possible.

step 2


If your car is not driveable and you have breakdown assistance cover, you should request that you are also put through to the Breakdown helpline. Depending on the cover under your policy you may be entitled to a replacement car for up to a specified number of days.

step 3


Many Insurers now have their own “approved repairers” network, which is a nationwide network of garages who carry out vehicle repairs and in return for using these “approved repairers” you may be entitled to a courtesy car for a specified number of days (usually 5 to 10 days) and in addition, they may bill your insurance company directly (less any policy excess). The Insurance Company will offer you this “approved repairers” option at the time of reporting the claim.

If at the time of reporting the claim, your car is already in a garage or storage yard it is important to ask if you are being charged to hold it there, as these costs may not be covered under your policy.

fourth step


If you have chosen not to avail of an approved repairer, you will need to get an estimate for the cost of repair.

When repairs are complete you will need to send your insurance company the repair bill. They will issue a settlement cheque less your policy excess (refer to your policy schedule). If you use the insurance company’s own Approved repairers – normally they will bill the insurance company directly for the repairs (less any policy excess).

What to do in the event of a Home Insurance incident?

Please contact us on 01 486 9775 (9am to 5pm Mon-Fri) or your Insurance Company as soon as possible after the event to report claim details. Click here for direct claims contact details of your insurer.

Please refer to policy documentation for details of cover, excesses and exclusions.

Any property that is damaged or destroyed should be stored safely as the Insurance Company will need to inspect damage and assess costs.

Please note that home insurance claims can impact on any no claims premium discount allowed on the policy.

Storm Flood or Water Damage

Contact a reputable builder to arrange emergency repairs or boarding-up. Wet or damaged items can be lifted or removed from your home, BUT do not dispose of any damaged items until your claim has been settled or these items have been inspected. Store in a shed, attic, or outhouse.

Theft or Vandalism

Secure your property and its contents at all times.Immediately report the loss to the Gardai. Gather supporting documentation for any stolen or damaged items e.g. receipts, photos, valuations etc.

Flood and snow damage

Here are some things you can do to keep flooding or snow damage to a minimum:

  • Stay away from dangerous areas
  • You can arrange urgent building repairs but be sure to obtain and retain supporting paperwork
  • Ensure the gutters are kept clear
  • If you can access your property (but it is not habitable) please arrange to have the electricity, gas and mains water switched off
  • If your home is habitable, try to dry-out your property and contents.
Call Arachas
01 486 9775